Monday, March 9, 2009

My Heat Therapy Bag Tutorial!

Yay! This is my first tutorial! I hope I explain everything well, if you have any questions, feel free to message me. [warning: this post is EXTREMELY picture obese!]

You'll need:
-2 strips of fabric 2 1/4" by 8"
-1 strip of fabric 3" by 8"
-1 strip of fabric 4 1/2" by 8"
-Muslin for the inner rice bag
-Rice (for this size bag you'll use about 1/2 pound)

First you want to cut your fabric:
Then I like to lay mine out to see if I like the look of it. I usually alternate colors but you can do it any way that your little heart desires.

Pin your first two pieces together wrong sides facing and sew across:

Attach your other two pieces the same way:
When all pieces are sewn iron down seams (if you want to add any accents to your cover this is the time to do it):
[Not shown: fold down the ends of the long sides about 1/4" and hem. I usually do a straight stitch and a zig-zag on top for extra strength]

Fiddle around with the way you want the cover to look (like how much of each color you want to show on the front) You then want to overlap the long ends about an inch and pin down the short sides (keep in mind that the color that's on the top will turn out to be covered by the overlap when you turn it):
Sew across the short sides trim the access and clip your corners:
Flip and press:
For the inner rice bag I use the cover as a template leaving about 1/4" around:
Sew around all edges of the muslin leaving a 2" opening for turning and filling. Turn. Using a funnel (or a Kohl's ad like me) fill about three quarters of the way full with your rice:
[Not shown: once the rice bag is full fold in the edges of the opening, pin and sew shut. I usually push all the rice to the closed end of the bag and put pins across under the opening so that the rice stays clear of the sewing machine.]

Slide the inner rice bag into the cover and you're done! You can enjoy the bag hot or cold.

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com